Saturday, November 27, 2010

Natural Hair Diaries: Jergens irresponsible advertising

So I was hanging out with my roommate and her Lil sister last night at our apartment.  We had just gone grocery shopping for our post Thanksgiving Dinner.  At the store, Lil Sister decides to buy the latest O magazine in order to attempt to win some of Oprah's Favorite things.....yes lawd.

However, we get home and she's shocked by an advertisement for Jergens inside.  She's transitioning and I'm natural.  I'm pissed off when I see it.  Essentially the add is calling our natural hair ROUGH and less than elegant.  Check it out.  I took a picture immediately (sorry for the quality).


Not only do I think this is irresponsible advertising on Jergens part but I thought Oprah had a better grasp on what was put into her magazine.  When the ideal of natural beauty is being questioned daily by little black girls, one would hope that women of influence would at least try to see to this a little better.  Why is her sleek (photo shopped when you look closely) hair so radiant and her natural coils are ROUGH.  That makes me sick.  There had to be someone who approved this for Oprah that should know that something is wrong here.  Also...who at Jergens thought that this was fine and acceptable.  I definitely wont catch myself using Jergens.  I'll take my rough hair and skin over using that mess.  SORRY!!

2 comments:

  1. Which issue of O Magazine was this in?
    I am doing a paper on natural hair in the media and I'd like to use this ad.
    I really would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had to be the November or December 2010 issue. I've seen it in other magazines also since then.

    ReplyDelete

Oh I think I LIKE it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...